Saturday, February 15th will be St. Cecilia Catholic School’s Second Annual Day of Service. Please join us as a family to “Walk with Jesus” and work on different service projects together to help our community.
New this year – St. Cecilia Catholic School is combining the second annual Day of Service with the annual Archdiocesan Steps for Students event held downtown that morning.
For those families who would like to participate in both Steps for Students and the Day of Service – we are renting a bus to help with the commute and parking issues. The bus will leave St. Cecilia at 6AM, arrive downtown in time for the 6:30AM Mass at the Co-Cathedral that is part of the Steps For Students event, and then take part in the family fun-run event.
After Steps for Students, we will take the bus back to school to work on the service projects. The money raised through Steps for Students that comes directly back to St. Cecilia will be used to fund the service projects and their organizations.
Also, all students who will be participating on the Track team this semester are encouraged to attend Steps for Students to have a training for Track season. More information will be available on this at the Track Team Parent Meeting on February 5th at 5PM.
We realize not every family will be able to commit to a full day of Steps for Students and the Day of Service, so those families who can attend just the Day of Service can just come to school at 10AM on Saturday, February 15th.
Please register here if your family is planning on attending the Day of Service. On the form, it also asks if you have registered for Steps For Students (through this link via the Archdiocese).
– If you register for Steps For Students – there is no fee to participate in the Day of Service.
– If you do not register for Steps for Students and can only join us for the Day of Service, there is a $15 registration fee per family to help cover the costs of Day of Service.
– If you are only joining us for Day of Service, please plan on meeting us at the school at 10 am.
Additionally, if you are going to be joining us on the bus to Steps for Students, please indicate how many people from your family will be on the bus (a form field will appear below). The bus will leave from the Joan of Arc parking lot at 6AM and return by approximately 10AM.
– Cut and prep materials to make shoes for “Sole Hope,” an organization which provides shoes for people in Uganda to help them prevent getting jiggers, a parasite that causes bad infections.
– We will write letters of encouragement to people at the Project Walk Paralysis Recovery Center in Houston- an exercise-based recovery center focused on paralysis who work with individuals who have been affected by a stroke, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, or live with a neurological disorder like Cerebral Palsy, ALS, Multiple Sclerosis, and transverse myelitis.
– We will make cards and treats for the homebound in our parish.
– Starting on February 10th – we will be collecting shoes. Shoes in good condition will be donated to Star of Hope. Unusable shoes will be donated to Nike to be recycled for playground resurfacing. During the Day of Service, we will sort and clean the donated shoes.
Lunch will be provided and a reflection period where we can talk about service and how we can help the community.