The early elementary years expand on the foundation built in our pre-kindergarten grades. More formal instruction is introduced and regular assessments at the end of units are administered to track a student’s academic progress. Continued emphasis is placed on developing the students into contributing members in their church community through our GO Program focused on service learning. The classes are self-contained with one teacher, and the children go to P.E. and Spanish weekly. The students also go to Drama, Music, Art once per week and Computer Technology quarterly.
English Language Arts
- Implement language arts using Fountas and Pinnell.
- Apply background knowledge to understand settings, problems and characters.
- Students read and comprehend text by talking and writing.
- Learn and apply reading strategies to strengthen fluency and comprehension.
- Introduce and apply spelling rules and patterns.
- Apply knowledge of parts of speech, sentence structure, and the writing process.
- Understand the meanings, uses and representations of numbers.
- Apply algebraic reasoning skills (addition and subtraction).
- Apply skip counting skills to tell time and identify the value of money.
- Identify and write fractions.
- Identify and describe geometric shapes.
- Explore features of the Earth: landforms, water, rocks, minerals, and soil.
- Investigate plants, animals, and habitats.
- Discover and explain the Moon, Sun, stars, and our solar system.
- Describe types of weather and weather tools.
- Understand their roles and responsibilities of being a good citizen.
- Identify the world around us: maps and globes.
- Understand economics: needs and wants; goods and services.
- Introduction to American History: Native Americans.
- Learn and recite Catholic prayers and demonstrate reverence during prayer and Mass.
- Prepare for First Reconciliation.
- Prepare for First Communion.
- Understand Biblical stories.
- Demonstrate mastery of basic vocabulary previously covered.
- Exposure to the Spanish language through songs, stories, games, pictures, puzzles, and group activities.
- Build and expand vocabulary through thematic units.
- Explore basic grammar concepts.
- Read and understand basic vocabulary.
- Exposure to a variety of Hispanic cultural events, centered around holidays and cultural customs.
- Make comparisons between English and Spansih and between cultures creating cultural awareness, mutual respect and tolerance.